Saturday night hockey

Saturday night hockey
Saturday night hockey

Monday, September 27, 2010

Travels in the balmy south

I’ve was away for a few days last week.  DH and I took his 87 year old father on a little trip.  DH flew to PG to pick his dad up and they drove down and met me in Vancouver a few days later.  I arrived on the plane about 4:30 in the afternoon.  We had booked a hotel room and I went there and hung out for a while.  By 7 p.m. DH and DF-i-L had not arrived and I was starved so I set out to walk to a restaurant recommended by the front desk.  Amazingly DH missed the turn off for the hotel and drove right up to me when I was a few minutes from the restaurant.  Funny how these things can happen in a big metropolis.

We took DF-i-L to Port Alberni on Vancouver Island to visit his brother, then to Chemainus further south on the island to visit some old friends of his.  Then back to Vancouver to my B-i-L’s place and I flew home.  DH and DF-i-L were on the road for 7 days; I was with them for 5.  I have to say that my DF-i-L was a real trooper.  I was amazed at his adaptability and willingness to go with the flow.  I think he had a great time. 

Unfortunately I wasn’t a very good picture taker – but I’ll share a few photos that I did take. Three exciting things in Port Alberni.

1. Biker’s toy run with 600 plus motorcycles.

  IMG_2235

2. Kiwi tree growing in DH’s cousin’s back yard.  I’ve never seen one before.  She said that you don’t pick the kiwis until they have some frost, which would be mid-November for them.

IMG_2239 IMG_2240 IMG_2241

3. Deer hanging out on the side of a busy road right beside cousin’s back yard.  We don’t have many deer where I live.

IMG_2246 

And for Friday Night Sew In I worked on a knitting project.  These are fingerless gloves for DD # 3.  One is almost done.

IMG_2297 

I loved this blue door in Chemainus… if I look like I just got up… well I probably did….

2010-09-20 010

And the wake from the ferry…

IMG_2250

I went to two quilt shops in Port Alberni but didn’t buy too much.  These fabrics in one shop…

IMG_2300

And these fabrics in the other.  I got that red as sashing for my postage stamp quilt.  Thank you all of you who gave me your opinion.  I was in love with the red and enough people agreed with me to give me the confidence to go for it.  I thought this red looked perfect when I was at the shop, but now I’m not sure…

IMG_2299

It was a great trip.

Janet

3 comments:

  1. Yep, I'm lovin' the red!! It looks good with the little circle fabric. The blue door is amazing, good eye! I didn't know kiwi grew up north, I thought they were a tropical fruit. Shows what I know. What great kids you are to take Dad out for the week. I am sure he did have a wonderful time. I hope my kids will take me around when I'm 87!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice trip - the Island is so beautiful at any time of year. Great fabric buys, too - that red looks great beside the other fabrics, even if it doesn't work for your postage stamp quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh, DD#3 likes her gloves, keep up the good knitting Mama!
    xx

    ReplyDelete